Mercury's influence on autistic children has become more and more evident. In this article, we'll show you what the latest research says in respect to this matter.
After decades of research, the question as to why so many children have autism continues to go unanswered. This is because there is not just one single factor.
What is autism?
Autism, also known as ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder), is a neuro-biological developmental disorder that starts during the first three years of life and lasts one's entire lifetime.
Overall, there are two fundamental symptoms that are associated with autism:
- Persistent deficiencies in communication and social interaction.
- Restrictive and repetitive patterns of behavior, interests and activities.
You might be interested in: 6 Signs of Affective Deprivation in Children
Some signs that may be indicative of ASD in children are:
- Lack of communication with other children in Kindergarten or grade school.
- Absence of symbolic play (taking care of dolls, playing house, playing with cars as if they were real, etc.).
- Little eye contact is made and they don't notice a change in the other person's face when they are both looking at something strange. In addition, children with autism don't make the normal social smile when interacting with others.
- Their language, if they speak, is literal (thus, they don't understand jokes, sarcasm, double meanings or metaphors).
Overall, many scientists tend to agree that genetics are a factor in having this condition.
Also read: 6 Exercises To Help Children With Language Difficulties
CONTINUE READING ON NEXT PAGE