When you are having Bell's palsy, the nerve which is controlling your face becomes swollen and inflamed which is caused by the viral infections. Also this nerve affects on your saliva, tears, taste and the small bone which is in your middle ear.
Risk factors: This disease can occur mostly in the people who:
- Have an upper respiratory infection (such as cold or flu)
- Are pregnant (in the most cases Bell's palsy can happen during the third trimester or who are in the first week after giving birth
- Also there are chances if someone from your family had this disease in the past, then you are having increased risk getting this disease. In these cases doctors are saying that you are having genetic predisposition to Bell's palsy.
When to see a doctor?
If you have some kind of paralysis, then you ask for medical help. This paralysis also can be sign of having a stroke. Bell's palsy is not caused by stroke so you should be sure if you are having Bell's palsy or not. If you are feeling week and you had in the certain past some diseases, then you must visit your doctor. If your condition is serious, then your doctor will refer you to neurologist. Before you visit your doctor, you should write about all of your symptoms that you are feeling. Also you write personal information about your health. It is good idea to write all the medicines and natural remedies that you have taken in the past. You should tell your doctor if someone from your family had Bell's palsy. Your doctor can ask you some of these questions:
- When was the first time you had felt your symptoms?
- What are you feeling?
- Are your symptoms constant?
- Had you used some medicines for your condition?
- Have they made your symptoms to improve?
- Have they made your symptoms to worsen?
- Have you some family member which had Bell's plasy?
He or she will make tests to control your health and to be sure for your disease. He or she will make you EMG which can show how much are damaged your nerves. Also it will make imaging scans to be sure if there is skull fracture or tumor. You should protect your affected eye (which you cannot close). Also your doctor will give you pain relievers to reduce the pain caused by this disease. You should go to physical therapist to massage your face. You will feel relaxing on your face.